Friday, May 22, 2015

A Dominican Prayer at Perpetual Promise


On the Occasion of Pentecost and
the Anniversary of the Translation of Our Holy Father St. Dominic

My most wise and giving Lord, thank you for guiding me to the Order of Preachers.  On this day where I make perpetual commitment to the Order, open my soul to the Holy Spirit.  By your grace, instill in me the attributes of my Dominican predecessors whose intercessions I entreat on this day:
Like Holy Father St. Dominic, give me endurance to be a preacher of the Word;
Like St. Catherine of Siena, give me the audacity to speak Truth;
Like St. Thomas Aquinas, give me the solace of study shared with others;
Like St. Martin de Porres, give me compassion for those in need;
Like St. Rose of Lima, give me humility and true penitence;
Like St. Vincent Ferrer, give me a voice to reach the people;
Like St. Albert the Great, give me the gift to teach others;
Like St. Hyacinth, give me true zeal for evangelization;
Like St. Agnes de Montepulciano, give me over to unceasing prayer;
Like St. Pius V, give me true devotion to the Holy Rosary;
Like St. Louis de Montfort, give me vision to find the Son through His Blessed Mother;
Like Bl. Jordan of Saxony, give me commitment to the Rule of the Order;
Like Bl. Margaret of Castello, give me inner-strength to meet difficulties;
Like Bl. Pier-Giorgio Frassati, give me true love for life;
Like all Dominican martyrs for the faith, give me the will to be a true Christian.
While I kneel before your altar, give me focus on the promises I make.  As I live my life, give me the fortitude to be ever vigilant in keeping those promises.  Draw me closer to you through my promises and make my life an instrument of the Word.  These things I humbly pray, through Jesus Christ my Lord, the Word Incarnate. Amen.

A prayer written by Mr. Lee Bowersox, O.P. prior to Perpetual Promise on Pentecost 2015. 

No comments:

Post a Comment